Tuesday 3 September 2019

CKCA7 Greenway

This is my next blanket from Comfort Knitting and Crochet Afghans, a crochet design, Greenway, by Donna Yacino.  I skipped #6 Ribbon because broomstick lace does not interest me.

Greenway on the other hand was tempting.  I had the cotton yarn in mind, and I like this kind of crochet pattern with rows in different colours.  The yarn was Patons 4 ply mercerized cotton in shades of white, cream and beige (plus one ball of similar Sirdar).  To add I had one ball of lavender and some unlabelled matt cotton in bright apricot and pink/brown.  I devised a regular striping pattern - it may be difficult to spot but it is there.





Since my yarn is thinner than the yarn in the pattern I worked out the number of stitches needed for a regular blanket, and I got it nearly right.  The pattern was clear and it was easy enough to do.  But it took such a long time with thin yarn.  I enjoy crochet but the problem with a slow project is that I am anxious to finish it because I would rather be knitting.







I decided the blanket was done when I ran out of yarn.  It was far too short for a standard blanket, but that couldn't be helped.  I did the edging, in an unlabelled cream cotton, as the pattern; one round of double crochet followed by one round of crab stitch.  It works.  I knotted the ends two by two on the side and crocheted over them when I did the edging, no other fastening.






I don't like the blanket very much.  The cotton makes it stiff compared to a woollen blanket, and not at all comfortable to snuggle under.  The best use would be as a picnic rug or play blanket for children.  It would be hard wearing and easily washable being cotton.

I do like the stripes and the colours, and I could look at it for a long time.  The apricot lifts it, and not even the lavender disturbs me.



This is where I decided to abandon my project to work my way consecutively through the projects in this book.  Now that my objective is to finish the yarn in the yarn store chronologically doing challenging patterns takes too long.  I need patterns that I can do while watching TV, and since I get most pleasure from putting yarns and colours together the patterns can be straightforward.

But glancing through the book now I keep seeing patterns that I would like to try...

I also need to decide what to do about the thin cotton yarns in the yarn store.  I had saved them for this kind of crochet, but however simple the pattern it takes too long.  I could use them doubled but that doesn't appeal to me.  Now I'm considering using them in my standard blankets.  It would add nice texture.

Greenway

Pattern: Comfort Knitting and Crochet Afghans Donna Yacino
Yarn: Patons 4 ply cotton and others
Hook: 2.5 mm
Size: 115 cm by 130 cm

Weight: 1150 gr
Done 17 March to 31 August 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment