Wednesday 17 April 2019

Afghan in a minute C40



The yarn was the reason for this blanket C40, a second version of Afghan in a minute from The best from Annie's Attic.  This was my first version.  It followed my decision to knit all my yarns as blankets and in simple patterns.  In fact, since it was aran weight the yarn should have gone into my standard blankets, but it was good quality, and I had wondered about what to do with it for years, so this is what it became.

The yarn was Jaeger Matchmaker Merino Aran, pure wool.  I had 10 balls in dark grey, shade Granite, and 7 balls in Light natural.  With this I looked for a brighter yarn, and found Cascade 220 Superwash in three shades of pink/lavender.  For more interest in knitting I added Regia Handdye Effect sock yarn.







I did my usual one row three yarn stripe.  I had planned to do a kind of gradient effect pattern by using up all of one ball of the pink before starting the next and the same with the sock yarn.  It didn't work, because I realised too late that somebody had written 85 gr on one of the Regia balls, which meant that I switched both pink and sock yarn at the same time with a sharp contrast.  Right in the middle of the blanket.  I realised too late what had happened.




I enjoyed the knitting with nice yarns.  Very easy.  I didn't do a border this time, because I liked the look of the tension square without borders.  Because of the sock yarn, there was enough yarn for a full length single blanket.  I cast off when I had run out of yarn.  The blanket is warm and cosy, as long as you don't look at it too long.








I didn't like the Regia yarn much.  The colours are fine, but it consists of wool surrounded by a thin nylon, I think, thread.  It is a nuisance, because it splits easily, and once the nylon has separated it get entangled with other yarn.  I don't know what it would be like on its own. 

Afghan in a minute, The best from Annie's Attic C40

Yarns: Jaeger Matchmaker Merino Aran, 100 % wool, Granite and Light Natural
            Cascade 220 Superwash Shades 834, 837, 807
            Regia Handdye Effect sock yarn Shades 06553, 06557, 06550
Needles: 5.5 mm
Size: 120 cm by 170 cm, 1560 gr
Knitted 23 December 2018 to 16 March 2019







No comments:

Post a Comment