Friday 21 February 2020

Corner to corner crochet throw

I have seen several versions of this corner to corner crochet pattern, and I was intrigued to try it.  The advantage is that as you start from a corner you don't have to decide on a size in advance.  You turn the next corner when you decide it is wide enough and the third corner when it is long enough.

I found a pattern, by Carolyn Calderon, on Ravelry.  It is very simple crochet, chains and double trebles all along.













I wanted to use my double knitting weight cotton yarns, starting with Rowan Pima Cotton, knitted into this cardigan from a Debbie Bliss pattern.  I had troubles when I knitted it, and I redid the yoke smaller because it slipped down my shoulders.  Even the smaller version did, and I hardly ever wore it.  It was a shame because the yarn is so nice, in the Bark shade.







With it I added various other cotton yarns in similar shades.  I particularly wanted to use up a Jaeger Albany ribbon yarn that I bought one day when I was in particular need of buying yarn.  It is a nice light pink shade and to my surprise the ribbon structure fitted in well.

The crochet flowed easily.  I discovered a problem that I had not anticipated.  The rows became very long and I did not want to change yarn in the middle of a row.  So I had to estimate at the beginning of a row if there would be enough yarn to complete the row.  Luckily I did it with success every time, and I did not have to unravel any.  But it disrupted my shade pattern.














It was really nice when I had turned the third corner, and the rows were getting ever shorter.  I didn't do the edging in the pattern because having used several yarns I needed to cover the ones I had brought up along the side.  I did my standard edging of one row dc and one row picot stitch.









I am quite pleased with the blanket or throw.  I don't like the gaps the pattern creates - you can't see them when the blanked lies flat, but it becomes obvious when you move it.  So I don't think I will do the pattern again.

Corner to corner crochet throw C45

Yarn: Rowan Pima Cotton, Jaeger Albany and other DK cotton yarns


Hook: 4 mm
Size: 115 cm by 160 cm


Weight: 1415 gr


Done 3 October  to 28 December 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment