Wednesday 12 December 2018

Frosted rose sweater by Sarah Hatton





































This is the sweater I spent most of this year knitting.  Knitting anything other than blankets is a slow business, especially if it involves following a pattern.  It was the yarn that led it.  I am going through my yarn spreadsheet with the aim of using yarn in the order I bought it, and the sweater uses two of the next yarns.

The first is Rowan Kidsilk Spray, a random coloured version of Kidsilk Haze.  It had brown, my favourite, with cream.  The second is Rowan 4-ply soft, all wool, in a lovely ply in mousy brown.  I have used these before in different shades, so I knew I would like the fabric.


The pattern came from The Knitter 118, Frosted rose by Sarah Hatton.  I liked the simple construction, knit front and back, do three needle bind off at shoulders and pick up stitches for knitting the sleeves downwards in rib.  Sarah's version was in Kidsilk Haze doubled.  I did a tension square with the Spray - singly because I had not read the pattern carefully - and I wanted something thicker, so I added the 4 ply soft.  I didn't do the lace pattern because I thought it would disappear in the random colours.






Because my tension was now different I recalculated the stitch count.  

The knitting was slow, but no problem.  The neckline in the pattern was too wide for my liking, and I tried to make it smaller, with little success.  I wanted long sleeves, so I lengthened them.

It turned out to be a lovely warm sweater, and now it is colder I wear it a lot.  As can be seen from the pictures.  I have not yet washed it.  It is a shame about the pooling on the front.  There is a slight puff sleeve effect because of the way the stitches were picked up, but it is probably more me and the yarns than the pattern.


Frosted rose sweater, Sarah Hatton, The Knitter 118

Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Spray 70% mohair 30% silk, Rowan 4 ply soft 100% wool
Needles: 4 mm, rib 3.5 mm

Tension: 20 m and 30 rows stocking stitch with one strand of each yarn
Knitted:  4 December 2017 to 29 August 2018
Weight:  425 gr



No comments:

Post a Comment