Wednesday 11 May 2016

Afghan in a minute C28


The yarn came first here.  I bought five 100 gr hanks of each of three shades of Klippan's Mattgarn - rug yarn.  It is aran weight, nice and thick quite tightly plied.  I liked the colours, purple, burgundy and teal.  I didn't buy the white hanks.  To soften the yarn I put it in a normal wash in the washing machine.  It did get softer and it unplied a bit as well, curling back on itself.  Extra texture is no bad thing.





My idea at the time was to knit Woolly Thoughts' Curve of Pursuit, and I saved the pattern from one of the early issues of The Knitter.  When I got it out to knit a test block I discovered that the yarn needs cutting between each segment, and there are eight segments in one round.  That is by no means economical efficient knitting, and I would not have enjoyed it.  So I abandoned it without regret.  I wish I had read the pattern thoroughly when I first saw it.  Otherwise I do like the design.



Thinking about an alternative easy pattern I thought a basket type stitch would be good as the blanket would lie flat.  I found a pattern in The best from Annie's Attic - Afghan in a minute.  My yarn is thinner, so it took me longer than a minute.  I used the 10 stitch block and a 5 garter stitch integral edging from the pattern.  My needles were 6 mm.






I enjoyed the knitting because it was so easy and I could do it while watching TV.  I over-estimated how much yarn a full size blanket would take, so I cast on too few stitches.  There would have been enough yarn for a wider blanket.  I do like the blanket though, especially the contrast between the knit and purl blocks.  The thickness is just right.







Afghan in a minute, The best from Annie's Attic C28
Klippan's Mattgarn
size 6 mm needles
Tension:  13 st per 10 cm
Size 115 cm by 170 cm, 1255 gr
Knitted 8 February to 19 April 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment