I was horrified to see how much yarn I bought in 2014, when I added it all up. I went back to look at my account for the previous year, and I had completely forgotten what I said then. I had roughly had the guidelines I set then at the back of my mind, but they had allowed me to buy more yarn rather than restrict me.
Even February and March, when my rules should have been fresh in my mind, were among the heaviest months along with the autumn months. Part of my temptation, something that I didn't realise in my account, was knitted items that could be turned into non-standard blankets. There are so many patterns that I would like to knit and that would be suitable for blankets and I buy yarn, or knits, for them. And then there are the ones I buy because of the quality of the yarn. I dread to think how many blankets I have yarn for.
The second group of yarns are those that are so nice that I want to use them for garments for myself to wear. The trouble with them is the difficulty of getting around to deciding on a pattern, to cast on and then to knit. I have timetables for the blankets and time spent on other knitting means delays. It is stressful ...
I had a day or two considering, again, that this year will be one when I don't buy yarn, but I realised very soon how unrealistic it is. So I will continue, along the lines set down last year, and no doubt I will be in the same situation next year.
My output in 2014 looks extremely good - 18.5kg, the most I have ever achieved. But that is on paper only. It is because of the four five blankets unfinished in 2013 that I finished earlier in the year, and when I take the average of 2014 and 2013 it comes to 13.9kg which is in line with the average of previous years. So it is pleasing that I am maintaining output.