I found the yarn for this in a charity shop, very reasonably priced. I had previously knitted a blanket with it, so I knew I liked it, because of the self striping colour and the single ply construction and despite its acrylic content - half wool half acrylic. There were 11 balls, 9 burgundy, one blue and one apricot. And it was suitable for bus crochet again.
In the previous crochet blanket I had decided that it was a good idea to do the last row in a block in double crochet stitch because it made it easier when joining. So in Jan Eaton's book 200 crochet squares - my book for crochet block patterns - I found #37 with treble and dc rounds, ending with two dc rounds. The pattern is for rounds in two colours, but with the self striping yarn I did it in one colour.
The crochet was fine, nice and relaxing. The disadvantage with doing trebles in a self striping yarn is the abrupt change when you start a new round, so the blocks look slightly lopsided. This took me by surprise, but I was not inclined to do anything about it.
When all the blocks are done I enjoy arranging them in a pleasing pattern for joining. The options are numerous, and I don't spend too much time on it. You can always find better ways when it is finished. I didn't have enough yarn left to do the joining, so I bought Drops Delight sock wool in similar colours. To my mind it looks all right. The Drops is a sock yarn with wool 75% and nylon 25%, so it washes as well as the Mirage. I joined the blocks by double crochet, and did a border with one round DC one round crab stitch.
It looks OK from the reverse too.
The picture of the finished blanket is not very good, but I am pleased with it, the blanket. It is nearly large enough for a single bed, or it can be used as a throw. It is washable. Doing the crochet was nice, but I think I have done enough with Mirage now. It is nice to get back to non-synthetic yarns. This is the last in my back log of blankets to be finished, and that is a relief.
Pattern: Jan Eaton 200 Crochet Blocks, Block 37
Yarn: King Cole Mirage DK weight wool 50% acrylic 50%
Weight: 1100 gr
Measurements: 156 cm by 123 cm
Crocheted: 7 April to 7 July 2013; finished 18 June 2014