At last I finished the Noro Blossom blanket. When I got to about 165 cm it seemed long enough, but there was still plenty of yarn left. It didn't seem wide enough so I picked up stitches and knitted another 5 cm on each side. At the top and bottom I added just a few rows. I had planned to finish it off with an I-cord, but the beauty of the cord got lost in the unevenness of the yarn, so I did a double crochet cast off with the brighter shade instead. I am pleased by the contrast which is not too bright.
The blanket is lovely. It is warm and light and I love looking at it and wrapping it around myself. It seems slightly lopsided with the top/bottom and side borders of unequal widths, but it is intended to be used, not to be looked at.
The needles I used, 5 mm, produced a loose knit, and I would have preferred the end product to be tighter, but the boucle yarn would have made it too uncomfortable to knit. In the end I used less yarn than anticipated, possibly because of the loose knit. I regret that I didn't take the opportunity to do a more challenging pattern than garter stitch or one that used the random striping to greater effect. That is for future projects. I must remember that I don't like knitting boucle yarns and I don't like knitting with thick needles.
Noro Blossom blanket C13
Yarn: Noro Blossom wool
40%, kid mohair 30%, silk 20%, nylon 10%; 1 250 g
Tension: 12 st
173 cm by 140 cm
Knitted: 12 February to 14 July 2012