Wednesday 16 January 2019

Account for 2018

Unexpectedly 2018 became the year when I stopped buying yarn.  More or less.  The decision was made, without prompting, on 1 May when I sorted the yarn store and the amount of yarn there became overwhelming.

I allowed myself a small allowance, of 100 gr per week, and I even managed to keep within it having 750 gr left at the end of the year.  Not buying became quite effortless in the end.  Looking at yarn I would think about what I would do with it; in most  cases I already owned similar yarn, and, if I bought it, it would end up in the yarn store for years to come.  Instead of finding nice yarn cheaply my objective has become to knit the yarn I have.

I continued to knit at a similar rate to previous years.  I used 22.4 kg.  For the first time, since I started keeping records, I knitted more than I bought, in fact twice as much. (I bought a lot before 1 May.)  It feels good.

I hope I can continue not buying.  The 100 gr weekly allowance adds up to more than three blankets per year, so I have reduced it to 75 gr.

Two pictures of nice yarn that I did buy, both American.



1 comment:

  1. I'm exactly the same with my yarn stash and not buying because it's usually similar to something I already have but haven't used. Although I still get sucked into 'shiny new things' that I see in magazines/online, but I'm trying not to do that as much!

    ReplyDelete