Wednesday 16 February 2011

The basket

I did cast on for the Lamb's Pride Bulky basket last week.  With the green skein the bottom turned out a few cms shorter than the width, and that is fine.  I thought it was small, though.  Using all the yarn would mean a tall narrow basket, so I picked up stitches around the edges, increasing at each corner, to make a basket with rounded bottom.  I knitted this in plain blue garter stitch.  How do you knit garter stitch in the round?  You purl every other row.  The sides will have moss stitch stripes that create a nice dotted effect, even nicer when felted, I hope.

This morning I put the stitches on a second circular needle, to see how it looks.  I'm sure it will be too large, a low wide basket.  I did two rows with increases, so I have decided that I will unpick to the second increase.  This will make it smaller.  A good decision to take now, rather than several inches later, I think.



I started on blanket #139 too, and this is what it looks like.  I often wonder why I continue to put effort into these blankets, and then I look at this and I really like it.  I was going to say dark is my favourite, but they are all my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment